2007年12月28日星期五

[G4G] Google: the chainmail version

手工织出来的毛编版Google

 
 

参考消息 通过 Google 阅读器发送给您的内容:

 
 

于 07-12-28 通过 Official Google Blog 作者:Karen

Posted by TJ Riley, Data Center Technician

From time to time we highlight the non-work interests and pastimes of individual Googlers. - Ed.

I have been working with chainmail, and metal working in general, for nearly 5 years now. I picked it up when I started college. My first major in college was history, and I was going to focus on the Middle Ages because of my fascination with the medieval period. After I changed majors to Computer Science, my hobby remained medievalism.

I have apprenticed under a blacksmith and learned some general metal working techniques. But I could not build my own forge then, so I turned to chainmail, which is a "cold" metal craft. Now I can take a bag of rings with me anywhere I go, and any time I have free time, I can work on whatever my current project is.

The crafting of chainmail is a relatively inexpensive hobby -- for the cost of a single videogame I can have enough chainmail supplies to last me months. The best part is that is requires very little thought most of the time, so you can multitask; watch TV, or movies, or even browse the web while working on chainmail.

A while back I was wanting to try my hand a chainmail inlay, but I did not have a design in mind. Most people make a chainmail shirt that has some dragon, or rampant lion design on it. I wanted to make something more unique. After a few weeks of thinking about this, I realized that I could use the Google logo.

I started construction in late April 2007, my plan was to only work on it while on my lunch break, or other downtimes. But I soon realized it would take me years at that pace. And the opening of our new office area was going to happen later in the summer. So I began to work on it whenever I was not actually doing my job. I spent around 4 to 5 hours a day every weekday weaving the banner.

Four months later, I had a completed banner, which now hangs in our office.



For the numbers-minded, here are some details:
  • The entire project is exactly 25,829 rings.
  • Dimensions: 67 units by 44 units (c. 66" x 27")
  • Rings: 1/4" 16-gauge aluminum; the silver is bright aluminum and the inlay uses colored anodized aluminum.
  • The entire thing is the traditional 4 in 1 pattern turned 90 degrees.

 
 

可从此处完成的操作:

 
  --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
您收到此信息是由于您订阅了 Google 论坛"参考消息(G4G)"论坛。
 要在此论坛发帖,请发电子邮件到 Go2group@googlegroups.com
 要退订此论坛,请发邮件至 Go2group-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
 更多选项,请通过 http://groups.google.com/group/Go2group?hl=zh-CN 访问该论坛
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

没有评论: